Advanced Methods in Macromolecular Crystallization VII
the 2nd FEBS practical crystallization course in middle EU co-sponsored by INSTRUCT
The course is intended for undergraduate (5th year) and postgraduate students and postdocs with an interest in macromolecular crystallization. Number of participant is limited to 35.
The crystallization of biological macromolecules is still poorly understood and, as a consequence, success of the common trial-and-error experiments is not predictable. On the other hand, more rational approaches have been developed in the past few years and prospects for the science of crystallogenesis are in fact good. Many of the new approaches are based on an improved theoretical insight into the processes of nucleation and crystal growth.
The course is designed to bring over the message of the benefits of more rational approaches to macromolecular crystallization. The course will consist of theoretical lectures, seminars as well as practical work and demonstrations (lectures 40%, practical work 50%, seminars 10%). For crystallization experiments, typical recipes using commercial proteins will be used. In addition, students can bring their own proteins and carry out crystallization trials on these during the course.
A poster section is planned in order to encourage participants to present their own work.
Nove Hrady is located in the south of the Czech Republic. The Academic and University Center resides in a very styleful chateau, which provides many facilities such as two lecture halls, laboratories, apartments and a student dormitory.
Speakers and tutors:
- Terese Bergfors (Upsalla University)
- Christian Betzel (Univ.-klinikum Hamburg)
- Christian Biertümpfel (MPI of Biochemistry, Martinsried)
- Monika Budayova-Spano (UJF-EMBL-CNRS, Grenoble)
- Jiri Brynda (Academny of Sciences, Prague)
- Martin Caffrey (Trinity College Dublin)
- Radka Chaloupkova (Masaryk university, Brno)
- Naomi E. Chayen (Imperial College London)
- Allan D’Arcy (Allschwil, Switzerland)
- Karsten Dierks (Nabitec)
- Howard Einspahr (IUCr Journal Comission, USA)
- Juan Manuel Garcia-Ruiz (CSIC-Uni de Granada)
- Jose A. Gavira (CSIC-Universidad de Granada)
- Richard Giege (CNRS Strasbourg)
- Lata Govada (Imperial College London)
- Ivana Kuta Smatanova (University of South Bohemia)
- Jeroen Mesters (University of Luebeck)
- Joe Ng (University of Alabama USA)
- Marc Pusey (iXpressGenes Inc. Huntsville)
- Bernard Rupp (Hofkristallamt, Livermore)
- Claude Sauter (Université de Strasbourg)
- Stefan Kolek (Douglas Instruments)
- Ivana Nemcovicova (Bratislava, Slovakia)
- Lubica Urbanikova (Slovak Academy of Sciences, Bratislava)
- Pavlina Rezacova (Academy of Sciences, Prague)
- Da-Chuan Yin (Xian, China)